Hey guys! So I kinda took a poll in starting a food segment on the blog and a lot of people supported the idea. Cooking has been something I’ve always connected with. And this segment is to help pass along my knowledge.
PLANTAIN FRITTERS: popularly knowm as Mosa or plantain puff puff is a snack made from overripe plantain. What I love about it is that you can add anything you want to it i.e you can own the recipe.
This should make 10 balls.
• Overripe plantain (3)
• Flour (1-2 cups)
• Egg (1 large)
• Onion (1 small)
• salt (1 tea spoon)
• Habanero pepper (ata rodo) (depends on how much pepper you like)
• Spices (Curry, thyme, Cinnamon, etc)
• African Spinach (Efo) (not compulsory)
1. Slice the plantains into small bits into a bowl.
2. With your Spatula/stirer/potatoe masher mash the plantain till it becomes mashy. Add the egg and mix well.
3. Slice and dice the Habanero pepper, onion and Spinach into small bits not chunks.
4. Add them to the mashed plantain and mix well.
5. Add the salt and other spices.
6. Sieve the flour and add gently into the mixture. Mix well till you’re sure all the ingredients have been evenly distributed and till you have a semi thick consistency.
7. Set sifted flour aside for coating. Use a spoon to scoop the mixture to the size you want, put it in the flour set aside, coat with flour and mould into a ball. Do this till the mixture is finished.
8. Preheat oil in a deep pan till hot. Reduce the heat and deep fry in batches till golden brown.
9. Enjoy while it’s hot!
I hope this little tutorial was detailed. Please leave your thoughts in the comment section and let me know if you’d like to see more Meal tutorials. Thank you!